I've been a fan of "Maggie" since reading Adelle Davis' and Jonathan Wright's books on nutrition, and take it regularly. In 1954, Adelle wrote, "persons only slightly deficient in magnesium become irritable, high-strung, sensitive to noise, hyper excitable, apprehensive and belligerent. If magnesium is severely deficient, the brain is particularly affected" Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit, p 170. Jonathan Wright: "if there's spasm, think magnesium!"
For several years, I've been a member of Morley Robbins' FB group, the Magnesium Advocacy Group, and have found it to be a wealth of information. Thousands of people around the world have benefited from upping their magnesium "the right way,", and following the protocol.
On the weekend, a friends hubby landed in the ER with chest pains, (scary!) Which turned out to be esophageal spasms! He's been having chest pains and migraine headaches for months - a potential remedy for both? Adequate Magnesium!
Involved in over 325 functions (or Carolyn Dean, MD, ND and magnesium guru woo says 700-800) all hormone regulation, Magnesium is vital for health, yet 80% of our population are low in Maggie.
Why? Commercial farming, using high phosphate fertilizers, drinking city water, eating processed, chemical laden, fortified and GMO "foods," experiencing stress, .... the list goes on!
Enter Morley Robbins, and The Root Cause Protocol
- STOP Vitamin-D ONLY Supplements (Supplemental “vitamin”-D KILLS Liver Retinol that is needed for Cp) More on Vitamin/Hormone-D…
- STOP Calcium Supplements! (Ca BLOCKS Magnesium & Iron absorption)
- STOP Iron Supplements! (Iron, or Fe SHUTS DOWN Copper metabolism) More on Iron Toxicity…
- STOP Ascorbic Acid (Ascorbic Acid disrupts the Copper < > Cp bond)
- STOP High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) & Synthetic Sugars (HFCS Lowers Liver Copper & Raises Liver Iron)
- STOP LOW Fat Diet (Saturated Fat is needed for proper Copper absorption)
- STOP Using Industrialized, “Heart Healthy” Omega-6 Oils! (e.g. Soybean, Corn, Canola Oils)
- STOP Using products with Fluoride (toothpaste, bottled water, etc.)
- STOP Taking “Drugstore” Multivitamins & Pre-natals (They contain the first four items above, plus trace amounts of fluoride)
- STOP Using Citrate in Foods & Supplements (e.g. “Natural Calm”)
- STOP Using Colloidal Silver as an Antibiotic (It lowers Copper status in the body! Nanonized Silver is ok)
- START Magnesium (Mg) supplements (Jigsaw Mag SRT, Pure Encaps Mag Glycinate, Mag Oil, etc. See Magnesium Supplement Recommendations) to lower Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) & Cortisol. (Dose: 5 mg/lb or 10 mg/kg body weight. Be mindful of the Mg cofactors: B6, Boron, and Bicarbonate.
- START taking the Adrenal Cocktail (4oz fresh orange juice, 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar and 1/4 tsp sea salt) at 10am and 2pm on an empty stomach to balance electrolytes.
- START Cod Liver Oil supplements (1 tsp Nordic Naturals Arctic or 1 tsp Rosita) for Retinol, animal based Vitamin A.
- START Whole Food Vitamin C supplements (Innate Response tablets or Pure Radiance Synergy powder: 400 – 800 mg/day (Key source of Copper)
- START Using Mother Nature sources for B Vitamins:
– take ½ tsp of Bee Pollen
– take 1 – 2 tsp of Rice Bran (be sure to take AWAY FROM other foods)
– eat 4 – 6 ounces of Beef (or lamb) Liver weekly
(research shows that several B vitamins are KEY for Cp production. Please get these as noted above:) B2 (Riboflavin) – Key for Cu/Fe regulation in the liver; B5 (Pantothenate) – Supports the production of Vitamin C; B7 (Biotin) – Key for Cu/Fe regulation in the liver.
- START Using Silica (Diatomaceous Earth) that stimulates an increase in Cp! (Start with 1 tsp in water at the start or end of the day, and work up to 3 tsp [1 Tbs] each day.)
- START Boron (1 – 3 mg/day, or add 1 Tbs borax to magnesium baths) – aids in Synthesis of Cp, and regulation of Fe.
- START Taurine (500 – 1,000 mg/day) Supports liver copper metabolism
- START Ancestral Diet (HIGH Fat & Protein/LOW Carb) Good for Copper absorption
- START Iodine (PREREQUISITE: Mg RBC & Se RBC need to be optimal) Until then, add Iodine rich foods like kelp, seaweeds, scallops, cod, eggs, cranberries, etc. to the diet.
Additional Factors to Consider regarding Ceruloplasmin (Cp):
- Chlorinated water is hard on Copper & Magnesium, thus is hard on Cp production.
- High dose Zinc supplements BLOCK Copper absorption, which reduces Cp production.
- Molybdenum is known to chelate Copper and BLOCK Ceruloplasmin production.
***************************I live in a town with fluoridated water, so I drink and cook with well water at home. I began
making boron solution (7) last year, and notice my shoulders are less "creaky" when I take it regularly. It also helps chelate fluoride, which in turn, helps decalcify the pineal gland.
I use Mag. Glycinate and chloride, and am a fan of Epsom Salt baths. I plan to start making the Adrenal Cocktail. (2) I'm already an "ancestral diet" fan (9), and get lamb from Karen at the Farmers Market. I'm one of her organ meat customers as well
(lamb liver, (5) kidney and heart.)
I just ordered more cod liver oil (3), and do like that form of vitamin D and omega acids. Taurine (8) is the nutrient I.was least familiar with, so I looked it up and found this list of benefits. Note that if you're vegetarian, lack of this nutrient can cause anxiety and fatigue, and it helps regulate insulin, so it's a good one to add!
What do you think, are you ready to give Magnesium and its co-factors a try? (Watch Morley's "Theory of Everything" video for more inspiration, and an item by item run-down of his recommended protocol.) Let me know in the comments below!