Friday, May 3, 2019

T'is May!

As they often do this time of year, my thoughts and hands turn to gardening. It's been sunny the last week, and I've been digging ... 


My daughter and son-in law often have a lovely large garden, and we have two wonderful Farmers Markets, one year round, so I've not done much the last couple of years. There are always tomatoes, and I usually forget to harvest some of the garlic, so I divide and repent clumps in the spring! 

I've got a rather wild front yard (and am always surprised when someone stops to tell me how much they enjoy it! My camas blooms for a little while under a moss Rose and birch tree, a Rowan/Hawthorne cross is full of May Flowers (and produces delicious berries) Wallflower, primrose, flowering quince and calendula are blooming. 

Our local BiMart (NW chain, employee owned) has raised bed kits, and I decided to get one that's 3 x3' for the front, and some soil to fill it. .... There are front yard gardens sprinkled throughout my neighborhood, so I'm in good company! 

I looked up some YouTube videos, both on making and suggestions on filling the bed. 

  • Dig out area under bed, remove roots etc
  • Set the bed in place
  • Cover the soil with Cardboard (barrier to roots, and worms love it)
  • 2-3" native soil
  • Next in layers: 2-3" potting soil, 1" compost/worm castings and 2" coconut noir (I've had this in bricks that you moisten and break down) and 2 C rock dust ... Mix a bit, add another layer till your bed is full enough. Add other amendments you like - kelp, bone meal, ...
  • Water with 1/2 cup fish fertilizer in 5 gallon bucket of water, and let sit a bit
Camas and tulips
By adding nutrients, I re-use potting soil from containers, and will see what's ready to use from my compost bin. I've picked up several herbs, and may include some of those. I've already planted tarragon and thyme in one of the back beds.

What's in your garden? 

No comments: