Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks

There are so many things to be thankful for! Food, shelter, warmth; friend, family, good work (& renumeration for that work!) . . .

This afternoon my son will pick me up for Thanksgiving at his 'country retreat' (so I'd better get packed, hmm??) & I'm picking up some extra veggies - the 'holiday harvest order' from my CSA. I was conservative, our receptionist mentioned getting pounds of potatoes & carrots, etc. I'm only getting more of a few things before they take ~ 2 month break (& have a baby!)
My son & his wife are planning on some gluten free yummies - will be fun to see what they come up with!

One of the veggies I've really enjoyed this fall is squash (or pumpkin) - which Katie & Casey suggest baking small to medium squash whole (prick several holes in it first!) - which is SO easy!! I've been baking it while I roast other veg, & then cut it open, scoop & wash the seeds (pulling off most the strings), lightly salt & bake them a little longer. My granddaughters BEG for squash seeds 'Por favor!'

The four year old told me 'my brain tells me I need to have more!' & I told her that they're good brain food! So if you are making pumpkin pie, consider getting a nice local squash or pie pumpkin, & baking it yourself!

I've also been enjoying fresh pomegranates, which are so yummy & nutrient packed. Look at the SIZE of this one!
They are so easy to eat - just score the skin lightly, break off a section, & break out the little juice packed seeds! You can sprinkle them on salads (I keep intending to do that) or just eat them by the handful. A few years ago I read a suggestion to pop the seeds off in a bowl of water, if you're doing a lot, & don't want your hands stained. For eating out of hand, I just do a small amount & don't worry about it! MMM - I need to get a few to take to my son's!

Happy Turkey Day!!

5 comments:

L'Adelaide said...

this all sounds wonderful...and very nutritious! have a blessed day..

Suzie Ridler said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Sounds like you're up to a lot of creative goodness in your kitchen, the perfect way to spend the day. I've been making a lot with squash lately too, will write about it soon.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I adore squash. Happy Thanksgiving :)

Also you won my giveaway for POM juice! Email me your mailing address and I'll get it to you (sagan.morrow[at]gmail.com)

- Sagan

Genie Sea said...

Happy Thanksgiving! And a yummy one too! :)

Kara Chipoletti Jones of GriefAndCreativity dot com said...

Yummmy!!!!!!!! I love CSAs, too! :)