Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Walk Through

Over the years, my cleaning style has ebbed and flowed; my daughter tells me I could write a book on feng shui, (and wonders why I don't just do what I know, lol!) 

Recently I've been shifting things around, with the goal of moving my Atelier into the back section of my living room, at 10 x 10' it's about 2x the space of my dining nook! My harps and a chair will move into the nook (5x6') and I'm reorganizing the seating area.

I've moved a couple of bookshelves, have a pile of books to donate, and my living room currently looks worse than before I began! But, .... it's on its way.  I enjoy watching Melissa Maker's Cleaning videos, and tips from Rachel Hoffman of UFYH for inspiration.

Living room corner

I especially like Rachel's reminder that "Company ready is good, but you ready is better!" She suggests cleaning in small blocks of 20 minutes, resting 10, (or more) and takes into account chronic health problems and depression, which can form roadblocks to having a welcoming habitat! Her compassionate style is a welcome change from guilt. 


Bookshelf switch
One of the habits that can help keep things clear is to do a couple of Walk Throughs each day. A "walk through" is basically going through a room, attending to things you notice are out of place or trash, and dealing with them. Dishes to the kitchen, throw away or recycle trash, neaten a surface. This is something "neat" folks do automatically, and makes a big difference when we incorporate it!

It's a concept kids can learn, and can help with. A quick check for toys and shoes which need to be put away, and dishes bussed takes just a couple of minutes, who knew?! 

What are some of your favorite routines and tips for "you ready?"

No comments: