Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ruby Rhubarb

I love making my own Granola for both breakfast & snacks! Since beginning to use Coconut Oil, I've updated my 'recipe.' Measurements are rather loose - I'm a 'handful' cook, so use your own judgement! I have a bag of hazelnuts in the shell, so usually crack ~ 10 & chop them; I might add sunflower or pumpkin seeds as well.

Coconut Granola

a quart of OG rolled oats,
chop some nuts (~ a doz. hazelnuts)
add flaked coconut
drizzle on some agav
e nectar (takes less than honey, ~ 1/8 - 1/4 C)
& several spoons of Coconut oil & bake for 20-30 min at 250* -

It's never too brown at that heat! I stir in the coconut oil after ~ 10 minutes, as it's solid at first.
I let it sit in the oven after I turn it off, (can bake a little longer if you want, sometimes I let it sit an hour or so, then turn the oven & timer on for another 20 min), then store in a glass jar. You could put in raisins or other dried fruit; (easiest after it's cooked!) This is my all around FAVORITE breakfast (& pretty quick to put tog.) I have a ceramic 'apple baking' pan that I cook it in, so I assemble, put it in the oven & THEN turn the oven on!
I toast some sesame & flax seeds at the same time (in the pan lid!) for grinding for 'yummy sprinkles!'

I've been making
Rhubarb Tapioca this spring, which is a great granola topping - yum! My mom made rhubarb crisp - with the 'granola' (crisp) on top - either way is delightful.
Chop ~ 3 stems of rhubarb, cover with water & bring to a boil. Tapioca: 1/4 C small pearl tapioca, covered with 3/4 C water (can be part coconut milk), let sit ~ 20 minutes.
S
immer the rhubarb till it's soft, ~ 10 min after it boils. Drain most of water (I usually drink it :) & pour in softened tapioca & water, add 1/4 C coconut milk, & 1/4 C agave nectar. Simmer till tapioca is transparent. I then add 2 Tbsp rosehips & 2 tbsp gogi (wolfberries) & stir in. (high in vit. C) I the AM, I add ~ 1/4 C frozen blueberries & 1/4 C frozen raspberries (or other berries). These can sit on top, or be stirred in.

I top the granola with fruit & yogurt or coconut milk, & yummy sprinkles from the freezer - quick & easy breakfast!! Or put the rhubarb tapioca in first, & cover with granola & coconut milk for a 'crisp' type desert! I also use cold herb tea to moisten the granola, if I don't have milk or yogurt - my favorites are all plesant & often rather 'fruity.'

Enjoy!

3 comments:

This Guy said...

Mmmmmmm looks great! I've been looking for a good recipie, so I am definatly going to try this out!

Jane said...

Coconut oil in homemade granola--what a yummy idea! I've never used coconut oil, but a friend here makes delicious tea/chai concoctions and adds a spoonful to the pot. Mmmmm! I love your idea of nettle pesto. Next time I harvest nettle, I'll make some and think of you!

Now I'm off to reread your broom posts. We move at the end of the week, and I want a new broom to await me there!

Blessings and Beauty,
Jane

Nadya said...

Here's a link to a lovely 'Rhubarb Fool' recipe, http://www.wardstreetbistro.com/wsb/2008/03/rhubarb-fool.htm with the explanation: "The name of this gossamer dessert comes from the French word foulé meaning pressed or crushed, and refers to the combination of crushed fruits and thick cream. It is a dish that is sublime in its simplicity."
Looks lovely - am thinking of layering some Rhubarb Tapioca with coconut milk kefir ...